Τὴ γλῶσσα μοῦ ἔδωσαν ἑλληνική
Οδυσσέας Ελύτης (Ἄξιον Ἐστί)
Have you always wanted to read the Gospels in the language they were originally written?
The Gospels were written in the Koine (= vernacular) Greek, direct descendant of Attic Greek (known also as Classical Greek) and ancestor of Modern Greek. This was the language spoken and understood by the majority of people living around the Eastern Mediterranean in the times of Christ. It was also the language of the educated people in Rome, Egypt, and all the main provinces of the Roman Empire.
By studying its alphabet, grammar, syntax, and vocabulary, you will be able to follow the Greek original of the New Testament texts, as well as the translation of the Old Testament, known as the Septuagint, or the Translation of the Seventy (O’ after the Greek number for 70). It will also give you easy access to the much older and more complex Classical Greek, the language of the ancient Greek philosophers, historians, and dramatists.
Day: Wednesday 7-8pm, on Zoom.
In-person masterclasses in the spring and summer of 2024.
Instructor: Ioulia Kolovou, PhD, MSc, Ptychio.
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY!
1. Χριστουγεννιάτικη Γιορτή/ Christmas Celebration- Κυριακή 17/12/23
2. Γιορτή των Τριών Ιεραρχών/ Celebration of the Greek letters/ Progress Reports – Κυριακή 04/02/24
3. Καρναβαλίστικο Πάρτι/ Carnival Fundraising Event – Σάββατο 02/03/24
4. Γιορτή για την 25η Μαρτίου/ National Day Celebration 25th of March- Κυριακή 24/03/24
5. Τελική Καλοκαιρινή Γιορτή/ End of Year Celebration- Κυριακή 23/06/24
About our school
Edinburgh’s Greek School was set up to pass on the Modern Greek language to the children of Edinburgh’s Greek Community. Now the School opens its doors to everybody. Friendly, structured classes for every kind of Greek learner. Everyone is welcome, from complete beginners upwards. Read more…
Forms & School Fees